Power System Check
Battery Reconditioning 4 You
To verify the symptom of the problem, power on the computer using each of the following power sources:
- Remove the battery pack.
- Connect the power adapter and check that power is supplied.
- Disconnect the power adapter and install the charged battery pack; then check that power is supplied by the battery pack.
If you suspect a power problem, see the appropriate power supply check in the following list:
- quot;Check the Power Adapter" on page 110
- quot;Check the Battery Pack" on page 111
Check the Power Adapter
Unplug the power adapter cable from the computer and measure the output voltage at the plug of the power adapter cable. See the following figure
- If the voltage is not correct, replace the power adapter.
- If the voltage is within the range, do the following:
- Replace the System board.
- If the problem is not corrected, see "Undetermined Problems" on page 126.
- If the voltage is not correct, go to the next step.
NOTE: An audible noise from the power adapter does not always indicate a defect.
- If the power-on indicator does not light up, check the power cord of the power adapter for correct continuity and installation.
- If the operational charge does not work, see "Check the Battery Pack" on page 111.
Check the Battery Pack
To check the battery pack, do the following: From Software:
- Check out the Power Management in control Panel
- In Power Meter, confirm that if the parameters shown in the screen for Current Power Source and Total Battery Power Remaining are correct.
- Repeat the steps 1 and 2, for both battery and adapter.
- This helps you identify first the problem is on recharging or discharging. From Hardware:
- Power off the computer.
- Remove the battery pack and measure the voltage between battery terminals 1(+) and 6(ground).
- If the voltage is still less than 7.5 Vdc after recharging, replace the battery.
To check the battery charge operation, use a discharged battery pack or a battery pack that has less than 50% of the total power remaining when installed in the computer.
If the battery status indicator does not light up, remove the battery pack and let it return to room temperature. Re-install the battery pack.
If the charge indicator still does not light up, replace the battery pack. If the charge indicator still does not light up, replace the DC/DC charger board.
Was this article helpful?
You can now recondition your old batteries at home and bring them back to 100 percent of their working condition. This guide will enable you to revive All NiCd batteries regardless of brand and battery volt. It will give you the required information on how to re-energize and revive your NiCd batteries through the RVD process, charging method and charging guidelines.
Get My Free Ebook