Internal Speaker Failure
If the internal Speakers fail, perform the following actions one at a time to correct the problem. Do not replace a non-defective FRUs:
If sound problems are experienced, perform the following actions one at a time to correct the problem.
- Reboot the computer.
- Navigate to Starts Control Panels System and Maintenance^ System^ Device Manager. Check the Device Manager to determine that:
- The device is properly installed.
- There are no red Xs or yellow exclamation marks.
- There are no device conflicts.
- No hardware is listed under Other Devices.
- Roll back the audio driver to the previous version, if updated recently.
- Remove and reinstall the audio driver.
- Ensure that all volume controls are set mid range:
- Click the volume icon on the taskbar and drag the slider to 50. Ensure that the volume is not muted.
- Click Mixer to verify that other audio applications are set to 50 and not muted.
- Navigate to Starts Control Panels Hardware and Sounds Sound. Ensure that Speakers are selected as the default audio device (green check mark).
NOTE: If Speakers does not show, right-click on the Playback tab and select Show Disabled Devices (clear by default).
- Select Speakers and click Configure to start Speaker Setup. Follow the onscreen prompts to configure the speakers.
- Remove and recently installed hardware or software.
- Restore system and file settings from a known good date using System Restore.
If the issue is not fixed, repeat the preceding steps and select an earlier time and date.
- Reinstall the Operating System.
- If the Issue is still not resolved, see "Online Support Information" on page 193.
Was this article helpful?
Read how to maintain and repair any desktop and laptop computer. This Ebook has articles with photos and videos that show detailed step by step pc repair and maintenance procedures. There are many links to online videos that explain how you can build, maintain, speed up, clean, and repair your computer yourself. Put the money that you were going to pay the PC Tech in your own pocket.
Get My Free Ebook