External Cdromdvdrom Drive Check
Do the following to isolate the problem to a controller, drive, or CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. Make sure that the CD-ROM does not have any label attached to it. The label can cause damage to the drive or can cause the drive to fail.
Do the following to select the test device:
- Insert an audio CD into the CD/DVD drive. If the CD/DVD drive can read the data from the audio CD. The drive does not have problem, then go to next step. If the CD/DVD LED on the front panel does not emit light as it read the data from the audio CD, then go to next step. However, if the CD/DVD drive can not read data from the audio CD, you may need to clean the CD/DVD drive with a CD/DVD drive cleaning disk.
- Make sure that the appropriate driver has been installed on the computer for the CD/DVD drive.
- Boot from the diagnostics diskette and start the diagnostics program
- See if CD-ROM Test is passed when the program runs to CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Test.
- Follow the instructions in the message window.
If an error occurs, reconnect the connector on the main board. If the error still remains:
- Reconnect the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM module.
- Replace the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM module.
- Replace the main board.
Was this article helpful?