Clearing a BIOS Password
To clear a lost BIOS password (user or supervisor password) you need to short the G61hardware gap located near the HDD connector.
Short to clear the user and supervisor passwords.
To clear a BIOS password:
- Turn off the computer and unplug all the peripherals connected to it.
- Unplug the power cord from the computer.
- Remove the battery pack according to the instructions described on page 28.
- Remove the lower case cover according to the instructions described on page 29.
- Remove the HDD module according to the instructions described on page 31.
- Locate the G61 gap. It is near the processor socket.
- Use an electrical conductivity tool to short the two contacts on the hardware gap together.
- While resting the tool on the two contacts, plug one end of the AC adapter into the DC-in jack and plug one end to an electrical outlet.
- Press the button to turn on the system.
- After the BIOS POST, remove the tool from the hardware gap.
- Reinstall the HDD module, battery pack, and the lower case cover.
- Turn on the computer and press F2 during bootup to access the Setup Utility.
- Press F9 to load the system defaults.
- Press F10 to save the changes you made and close the Setup Utility.
Was this article helpful?
Read how to maintain and repair any desktop and laptop computer. This Ebook has articles with photos and videos that show detailed step by step pc repair and maintenance procedures. There are many links to online videos that explain how you can build, maintain, speed up, clean, and repair your computer yourself. Put the money that you were going to pay the PC Tech in your own pocket.
Get My Free Ebook