External Diskette Drive Check
Do the following steps to isolate the problem to a controller, driver, or diskette. A write-enabled, diagnostic diskette is required.
NOTE: Make sure that the diskette does not have more than one label attached to it. Multiple labels can cause damage to the drive or cause the drive to fail.
Do the following to select the test device.
- The FDD heads can become dirty over time, affecting their performance. Use an FDD cleaning kit to clean the heads. If the FDD still does not function properly after cleaning, go to next step.
- Boot from diagnostic program.
- If an error occurs with the internal diskette drive, reconnect the diskette connector on the main board. If the error still remains:
- Reconnect the external diskette drive module.
- Replace the external diskette drive module.
- Replace the main board.
Was this article helpful?